1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to iHelpForum - the place to get help from knowledgeable techs in all areas of Tech, Home and Auto help. Consider checking out our Guides or Registering an account to post on our forums today.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Tech Guides' started by Cameldung, Mar 16, 2015.

Synchronize your folders with FreeFileSync 2015-03-17

How to make duplicate copies of your folders

1. Cameldung

Cameldung I Like It Here iHF Veteran Advisor WCG Team Member

Cameldung submitted a new resource:

Synchronize your folders with FreeFileSync - How to make duplicate copies of your folders

Read more about this resource...

2. elleran

elleran Active Member iHF Regular WCG Team Member

Hello... I just read your post about FreeFileSync and think it would be great for me so that I don't have to copy n paste backup all of the time, particularly as i often forget to do this. I read the comments on the site where I downloaded from and the first comment was that they didn't recommend this for beginners, which is me!! But I'm forging ahead any way....tho didn't get very far when the attached popped up and balked me. Do I say yay or nay to this? (I said I was a beginner). :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

3. DCiAdmin

DCiAdmin Always room to learn a bit more Administrator iHF Legend WCG Team Member

That would be a NAY, Elleran. That's nothing more than an advertising bit of software that slipped in on your download.

Cameldung and elleran like this.
  4. elleran

Thank you.

5. Cameldung

Hi Elleran, can I ask where the pic you attached to your post above came from, because if you downloaded from the link in the guide its not part of the download? I just downloaded and installed (as a portable app) and I dont get the pop up you show.

No you definitely don't want that carp anyway.

Dont forget with freefilesync, even though its great for syncing folder/files, never think its a replacement for your regular full backup image regime.

Also do take care to read the guide, especially the bit about using the "MIRROR" option, if you do that you'll never get in the doggy doo:poo:

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
  6. elleran

I clicked on the big orange button, because it was there. I just looked now and read the small print which said "Via external site".

I just ran through the procedure with one folder. It only added 1 file to the right hand column, which was new, so that's ok. The others were there in the next step. What if I had edited one of my other documents? Does it know to replace the older version in the right-hand target?

Another thing... How is this any better or quicker than my copy and paste? Is there an auto sync thingy that just updates both folders as I'm working on the original? Or am I dreaming?

7. Cameldung

Big orange button???????? Oh its ok, you're using a different theme. Still strange you got the pop up, because I just went through a portable setup and got nothing? Did you do a portable or full install? Even though its the same download file, there may be a difference. Can you let me know because I should make a note in the guide if that's the case?

Yes if you edit a file FFS will definitely update the right hand/target folder. Give it a try, the more you use the more comfortable you'll become with it.:mrgreen:

8. elleran

I just added another question at the same time as you were answering. See in the post above.

There's the big orange button, top right hand. (see pic)

Attached Files:

9. Cameldung

Yes the button is Orange on the light theme.

10. Cameldung

I have downloaded the file from the guide link, and run setup and chose portable, no popup. Have also run it as full install and again no popup.

ODD

elleran likes this.
  11. elleran

Hello Cameldung.... I just found this box on my desktop (see pic). Is this what I was wishing for?

Attached Files:

12. Cameldung

Sounds like you clicked on the red FFS "realtime" sync icon. This tells me you've done a full install. Close the program, right click the red FFS icon, and choose delete from the menu. You only need to click the green desktop icon to start off with. Don't worry we can get realtime sync going again later if you want.

I have updated the guide.

elleran likes this.
  13. Cameldung

Windows is not very good when it comes to copying large volumes of files, syncing is also more accurate when it comes to updated files. Syncing is also faster.
    Yes there is "realtimesync" to sync as you go, but that means its always running, which is not so good.

You can try realtime if you want from the menu, or if you want when you become a bit more familiar with it, can show you how to get the red realtime icon back.

Bloody hell, the quote and reply links arent working now. Elleran's question is at the top.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2015
    elleran likes this.
  14. elleran

where i belong!! hehe:p

DCiAdmin likes this.