• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to iHelpForum - the place to get help from knowledgeable techs in all areas of Tech, Home and Auto help. Consider checking out our Guides or Registering an account to post on our forums today.

System Scheduler

Arctos

Beware of the Bear...
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Came across this program helping a friend out with a minor Winders problem streaming online radio stations, he had been trying to find a way to close either a tab or the browser at a specified time.

I had a look at task scheuler but that will only open / start a process not shut one down, my old favourite Poweroff was no good either as it was not what he wanted.

I had a look at the close tab thingy apps in the Chrome store, which either would not install or if they did would not work. As my bat file writing skill have gone down the gurgler long ago, I found the task kill command from the CMD prompt, but it was all double handling.

I used to open and close a program called WebScheduler with a Poweroff command so had look for something like that.

I found System Scheduler from Splinterware, which will do the job perfectly as the basic program is free, but if you want all the bells and whistles it $30.00. One of the option is Windows Watcher, where you put in the browser / tab name at the specified time close it down.

Lord Chance

iHelpForum Jester & Door Greeter
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
We used to call those system calls cron jobs Arctos. They were used to do repetitive tasks in servers. Made my life easier not having to launch this or shut that down at regular times. I could just set a cron job and forget it. Have a look at these. CronW is an older program but may still work on the newer Windows

https://www.z-cron.com/freeware.html

http://cronw.sourceforge.net/

Arctos

Beware of the Bear...
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
I read about Cron yesterday LC, but the SS app set and forget works fine for my friend.

He is happy that he can listen to the local radio in bed at night, and his laptop browser will stop streaming it after he has fallen asleep. Apparently one of his neighbours was complaining about it playing during the night. Miserable $%#@ as well.

Lord Chance

iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
I read about Cron yesterday LC, but the SS app set and forget works fine for my friend.

He is happy that he can listen to the local radio in bed at night, and his laptop browser will stop streaming it after he has fallen asleep. Apparently one of his neighbours was complaining about it playing during the night. Miserable $%#@ as well.
Your friend is happy with your solution Arctos. That is what matters. I just thought I would add my two pence worth and give others an alternative if needed. :)

DCiAdmin

Always room to learn a bit more
Administrator
iHF Legend
WCG Team Member
Nice find, Bear! and wonderful reminder about the Cron apps, LC

Arctos

Beware of the Bear...
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Your friend is happy with your solution Arctos. That is what matters. I just thought I would add my two pence worth and give others an alternative if needed. :)
I see him yesterday afternoon, and he is happy asa pig in #$$%, but I am getting to old now to really tinker with Cron. I should have tried it a few years back.
Nice find, Bear! and wonderful reminder about the Cron apps, LC
Thanks Terry.

Lord Chance

iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
I see him yesterday afternoon, and he is happy asa pig in #$$%, but I am getting to old now to really tinker with Cron. I should have tried it a few years back.
Cron jobs were a pain to setup Arctos but was worth the time for the most part. I wish I had a Windows type interface back then.:)

Arctos

Beware of the Bear...
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member