• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to iHelpForum - the place to get help from knowledgeable techs in all areas of Tech, Home and Auto help. Consider checking out our Guides or Registering an account to post on our forums today.

Tax Cuts Explained

DCiAdmin

Always room to learn a bit more
Administrator
iHF Legend
WCG Team Member
Bait and Switch - Let me keep $10-20 more paycheck now (at best $520 annual) and tax me higher in 10 years ($5200 savings from "huuuuggge gift of a tax cut")

Don't try to sell me so hard on something that really isn't wonderful. No, it's not the end of the world, but it's not the President's greatest gift to constituents, either....

Lord Chance

iHelpForum Jester & Door Greeter
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Bait and Switch - Let me keep $10-20 more paycheck now (at best $520 annual) and tax me higher in 10 years ($5200 savings from "huuuuggge gift of a tax cut")

Don't try to sell me so hard on something that really isn't wonderful. No, it's not the end of the world, but it's not the President's greatest gift to constituents, either....
While I agree that it is far from great, I as an old businessman, view it as a good start. Of the taxes you pay to Uncle Sam, I have to match that. Of every dollar I send per employee, that means less I have to give raises or give another person a job. I understand that there are some companies that only see the bottom dollar but for most the way to continue making money and survive is to have good employees and be competitive. To keep good employees means paying better wages and to stay competitive means offering products and services at reasonable prices. Why do you think a lot of jobs are leaving the country? Money. Stay here and be taxed and regulated or move where you pay less in wages and taxes. Right or wrong, that is how it is. As I said, Money.

Forgive me M'Lady but there must be a balance in views. I see the Republicans and Democrats as two faces of the same coin. In both you will hear what they want or think you want to hear. I will take any advantage that either Party sends me as it all balances out in the end. Don't worry about what they offer you in the future because you can not depend on that. What you can depend on is taking the scraps(advantages) they throw you and build your own future. If you follow either party then you will always be on the receiving end. :)

DCiAdmin

Administrator
iHF Legend
WCG Team Member
Exactly, Bear!

LC, your words make sense.Got to spend a dollar to make a dollar type thing. I don't disagree with that. And you are right - with politicians, you certainly can't look too far ahead.

Lord Chance

iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Exactly, Bear!

LC, your words make sense.Got to spend a dollar to make a dollar type thing. I don't disagree with that. And you are right - with politicians, you certainly can't look too far ahead.
Forgive me sweet Lady. I did not mean to imply that I thought your views were wrong. We are what our experiences make us so I must respect the views of others. My point is that we should never depend on our Government to save us. It is like the old busy body down the road who tries to tell us how to live our lives. If we wait on Uncle Sam and his clowns to keep promises then we will die waiting. Do I like Trump? I think he is an idiot, but then again I haven't liked a President since JFK. Reagan came close but was still not the President of old standings. Our Government has lost sight of its purpose. It was not meant to regulate how we live our lives.

Ok, having said all of that, here is why I think they should have lowered the Corporate Tax and why it really doesn't matter.
  • In itself, it should create jobs and keep industry at home.
  • Aside from the stated, it takes away an excuse to move industry abroad.
  • Overlooking the bragging rights it gives Trump and Republicans, It really does help make this Country competitive in the Global Market.
Why it doesn't really matter?
  • All of those tax loopholes that the Government give the Corporate world.
  • Tax laws change like the wind. The tax code has changed almost every time there is an election. It is a dog and pony show.
As for the the tax break they are giving the citizens of this great Country? I can answer that too. We hear about how this will benefit the rich more but in truth the rich don't pay taxes like we do. Like the Corporations, the rich can afford the tax write offs to help lower their tax bill. This leaves the rest of us. Here is why you won't see the dreaded tax hike in the coming years. The tax base is at saturation now. Sure, you might see higher taxes but only a few dollars. Why, because the Politicians want to keep their jobs and frankly there is no more money to be had. The more money printed the less the money is worth. Like Crypto currency, When you create something from nothing you have something of little or no worth.

Forgive me for the rant. I am but an old demented business man *Retired* :)

DCiAdmin

Administrator
iHF Legend
WCG Team Member
LC,

Chris will tell you that I love a good political discussion - regardless of if we agree or disagree. It's important to hear the thoughts of others. It's important to have a different view of the world. He and I don't always agree, but we have surprised ourselves when we have agreed and agreed to disagree when it fit the situation.

I don't disagree (much) with the Corporate cuts; it does take a strong economy to make a strong America. And you correctly state, if cuts aren't granted Corporations and the wealthy, they will find the loopholes in itemization to take them anyway.

Unfortunately, tossing a few dollars my way in every paycheck isn't going to encourage mass spending on my part. I don't believe the "windfall" that Trump has granted with this tax cute is the "huuuggge Christmas gift" that he markets it to be. Similar as to what was said of Sarah Palin, it's all lipstick on a pig....

Crush

I am admin, ruler of my domain
Administrator
iHF Master Craftsman
Chris will tell you that I love a good political discussion - regardless of if we agree or disagree. It's important to hear the thoughts of others. It's important to have a different view of the world. He and I don't always agree, but we have surprised ourselves when we have agreed and agreed to disagree when it fit the situation.
Amen to that :)

Lord Chance

iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
This is healthy Terry and the way we should all approach political discussions. I don't expect to lead the discussion or be agreed with. I truly want to know where I stand in the war of words. I fear I would become bothersome in time because I will start bringing history in the mix going as far back as the Greeks and Romans. I usually wind up pithing people off when I remind them that a political discussion with out a final consensus never turns out well. Just look at what happened to the Greek and Roman Empires. :lol:

Unfortunately, tossing a few dollars my way in every paycheck isn't going to encourage mass spending on my part. I don't believe the "windfall" that Trump has granted with this tax cute is the "huuuggge Christmas gift" that he markets it to be. Similar as to what was said of Sarah Palin, it's all lipstick on a pig....
In this we agree. It was just a way to get votes. Any true Tax Reform would make everyone pay their "fair" share and no one would have to pay more. As far as who will benefit from this? No one but the Politicians will. :caution:

And who always wins Mate. My guess is that the lovely Lady beats you into submission. :roflmao:

DCiAdmin

Administrator
iHF Legend
WCG Team Member
This is healthy Terry and the way we should all approach political discussions. I don't expect to lead the discussion or be agreed with. I truly want to know where I stand in the war of words. I fear I would become bothersome in time because I will start bringing history in the mix going as far back as the Greeks and Romans. I usually wind up pithing people off when I remind them that a political discussion with out a final consensus never turns out well. Just look at what happened to the Greek and Roman Empires. :lol:
Bring it on, LC. I love a good debate, and more so one that has historical reference supporting.

Twitch6000

Person Of All Kinds
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Here is the real truth... We need a complete tax reform... Just giving small reductions like this is simply a patch job. (USA is full of those)

Now with that said.. The libertarian party in me is shouting NO TAXES PERIOD RABBLE RABBLE. (This is a joke.. sorta... I mean the LP really does support the no tax idea haha)

Lord Chance

iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Here is the real truth... We need a complete tax reform... Just giving small reductions like this is simply a patch job. (USA is full of those)

Now with that said.. The libertarian party in me is shouting NO TAXES PERIOD RABBLE RABBLE. (This is a joke.. sorta... I mean the LP really does support the no tax idea haha)
You must be one of those Tea Party goers or is that comers. I get confused. I'm with you on the complete tax reform but who gets what? That has always been the problem. Those who make the rules reap the benefits. Ask yourself why the tax code is so complicated. Reason, so no one without a general IQ level above 1000 can determine who is supposed to pay what. Not one person at the IRS will interpret the rules the same.:meh:

Twitch6000

Person Of All Kinds
Advisor
WCG Team Member
You must be one of those Tea Party goers or is that comers. I get confused. I'm with you on the complete tax reform but who gets what? That has always been the problem. Those who make the rules reap the benefits. Ask yourself why the tax code is so complicated. Reason, so no one without a general IQ level above 1000 can determine who is supposed to pay what. Not one person at the IRS will interpret the rules the same.:meh:
HA no far from a Tea Partyer.... My views mostly full under LP.... mostly

A comedic view of some of my political beliefs -

"I want gay people to be able to protect their cannabis plants with their own guns."

I do agree with the IQ comment related to taxes.. It is more of a reason it needs reformed at bare minimum.
I would even take it a step further even and say we need to reform our entire system.

Last edited:

Lord Chance

iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
A comedic view of some of my political beliefs -

"I want gay people to be able to protect their cannabis plants with their own guns."
*GASP!* Where is your political correctness Mate? :lol:

I do agree with the IQ comment related to taxes.. It is more of a reason it needs reformed at bare minimum.
I would even take it a step further even and say we need to reform our entire system.
I would agree but how do we start and where? What has broken our system of Government is opposing view points with no consensus. When rules are passed they are not meant to benefit everyone but just one side of the argument. Then instead of fixing a rule or law the opposing side will just add to when they get into power. This further confuses things. There are laws and rules on the books that have no applicable place in today's Society but they are still used to browbeat us into submission. Anyway, I will leave you with this, The only evil Political Party is the one in power and only by those in opposing view points. :)

Twitch6000

Person Of All Kinds
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Political correctness bleh. I hate everyone equally haha :).

As far as tax reform is concerned, there is certainly no easy way to go about it. However, many ideas have been tossed out. Just for example, Herman Cains 9-9-9 plan back in 2012. (Merely an example, not saying I supported it) The biggest issue is the fact that our so called representatives are not representing the people(either side). Just look at the past few years and how many times threats of shutdown would be thrown out. Why, because no agreements could be made. I believe we did infact have one around 2014ish(can't remember).

Last edited:

Lord Chance

iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
They are and were lots of good ideas and intentions but human nature being what it is, that is all we have. Until we get over the 'Me First' attitude then progress is not an option. Greed and the ' I'm too important ' views on life in general shows that Society needs to mature. I was a successful businessman in my own fashion. I had good employees who cared about what they did. In turn, I made them a comfortable living. Grownup attitudes for young people in and just out of high school. Our Government needs to take a lesson from those kids. I am still very proud of the people who worked for me. Mature kids. LOL

Twitch6000

Person Of All Kinds
Advisor
WCG Team Member
They are and were lots of good ideas and intentions but human nature being what it is, that is all we have. Until we get over the 'Me First' attitude then progress is not an option. Greed and the ' I'm too important ' views on life in general shows that Society needs to mature. I was a successful businessman in my own fashion. I had good employees who cared about what they did. In turn, I made them a comfortable living. Grownup attitudes for young people in and just out of high school. Our Government needs to take a lesson from those kids. I am still very proud of the people who worked for me. Mature kids. LOL
I 100% agree.