• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to iHelpForum - the place to get help from knowledgeable techs in all areas of Tech, Home and Auto help. Consider checking out our Guides or Registering an account to post on our forums today.

The Good, Bad and Indifferent?

Lord Chance

iHelpForum Jester & Door Greeter
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Today I suppose you could say I am having a bout of conscience. I was raised to help a person in need. Over the years I have bought food for the occasional stray, or whatever you wish to call them, whether they come to my business, home or ask me on the street. I gave simply because I would hope that if I need a handout someday then someone would be kind to me.

What brings this about is this. I was in a local store doing some shopping and on exiting the store I was asked by a young man to buy him something to eat. Normally I would think nothing of it, reach in my pocket and hand the person what I had to spare. What stopped me was that this whole occurrence was somehow wrong. The young man's clothes were rumpled but they looked too new and clean. His appearance was just a bit too well fed. As I have said, I have fed a lot of strays in my time. The one thing that most caught my attention was the "very expensive" head phones he put in his duffel bag. And to finish, his boots had way too much sole to have seen a lot of travel.

My dilemma is this. Should I have ignored all of these oddities and just give this fellow some money or did I do the proper thing and move on? It goes against what I was taught to just ignore someone's need. Old LC has never claimed to be good nor does he think he is bad but has old LC gotten indifferent in his old age? :caution:

Arctos

Beware of the Bear...
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Should I have ignored all of these oddities and just give this fellow some money or did I do the proper thing and move on?
Many years ago I would give some free meat from the butcher shop I worked in to some of the local aboriginals, it was not the top end meat either but cheaper meat to make a stew with, rib bones, shanks etc.

I would never give them money as they would only get booze (flagons of plonk) with it.

I never give white people money as they could get a job, if they were cadging loose change.

Don't fret over it mate.

Lord Chance

iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Many years ago I would give some free meat from the butcher shop I worked in to some of the local aboriginals, it was not the top end meat either but cheaper meat to make a stew with, rib bones, shanks etc.

I would never give them money as they would only get booze (flagons of plonk) with it.

Don't fret over it mate.
I think that is the problem for me Arctos. In the past you could tell the need of a person. Most were down on their luck and it showed. Today it is an industry to play on someones good nature. Panhandlers have been around since the invention of money I suppose. I guess I could have gone back in the store and bought the fellow a can of dog or cat food. They even had a pasture salt lick for the cows and horses. It was a farmers hardware store after all.

Next time I will offer them a job. I have a few things around my house that needs doing. A days work around my house would buy them a weeks worth of food. :mrgreen:

DCiAdmin

Always room to learn a bit more
Administrator
iHF Legend
WCG Team Member
Completely agreed with that, LC. I have an acquaintance that's down on their luck and very unlikely to change fortunes. I haven't hesitated to assist, and in return have had some electrical work done around the house. It has been beneficial to us both.

You've shown yourself to be a good judge of character. I would say trust your instincts; you've not been steered wrong.

Lord Chance

iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Completely agreed with that, LC. I have an acquaintance that's down on their luck and very unlikely to change fortunes. I haven't hesitated to assist, and in return have had some electrical work done around the house. It has been beneficial to us both.
The County Sheriff contacted me one day saying he had a vagrant that needed some work. I had a few jobs around the shop that would keep him busy for three or four days. The work was unskilled type work but I paid better than minimum wage and cash to boot. I thought $10.00 USD an hour was more than fair. It seems the bloke wouldn't work for less than Union wages so I give the Sheriff $5.00 to buy him a sandwich and sent him on his way.:lol: I did what I must to feed my family and myself. I never thought so highly of myself that I would bite the hand that was being generous.

You've shown yourself to be a good judge of character. I would say trust your instincts; you've not been steered wrong.
There is an ex-wife joke in here somewhere but I appreciate your confidence. My plight is one of wanting to trust but knowing human nature as I do, I have to lead with my head instead of my heart.:)