1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to iHelpForum - the place to get help from knowledgeable techs in all areas of Tech, Home and Auto help. Consider checking out our Guides or Registering an account to post on our forums today.

Dismiss Notice

Conversation The Good Old Days

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Lord Chance, Jul 15, 2017.

1. Lord Chance

Lord Chance iHelpForum Jester & Door Greeter iHF Veteran Advisor WCG Team Member

Back when the InterWeb was nothing more than text and data only I ran a small BBS (Bulletin Board System) or a Message Board as they were called. Much like a forum, the BBS mainstay was the different message board covering many topics. What really made a BBS popular was the file downloads and portal games, also called Door Games. Unlike Forums of today, a BBS had lots of features other than the afore mentioned. It was all up to the Sys Admin. What comes to mind of those days are the Users. Back then a User knew his place as it were. The User understood that he/she was a guest and acted accordingly for the most part. There is always that one or two who try a Sys Admins patience.

Why does this come to mind? It is because in today's InterWeb, Users feel they are empowered and entitled to do as they please. There is little respect for other Users, for those people who take time and considerable effort to make these Forums and other content available and there is no accountability. I believe in freedom of speech but with this freedom come a great responsibility. In my days as a Sys Admin I made it clear that anything I thought was harmful to the other users on my BBS would be deleted and get the author banned and/or deleted from the System. Censorship you say? I suppose but as a Sys Admin I was responsible for others as well as my BBS. Did I has a right to make those decisions? You bloody well bet I did. Did this make me wrong or bad? That would be up to you but before you decide, ask yourself some hard questions first. What is freedom of speech? What are my responsibilities and how do they effect what I wish to say? Will what I say harm another? Is what I believe or have to say so important that I just don't care what others think or believe?

Back then you couldn't hide behind a dynamic IP or Anonymous Proxy. All I had to do was back dial your phone number. Maybe we should go back to the land line days. It made us more thoughtful in our communication with others. After all, the bad old Sys Admin was watching...:)

2. Arctos

Arctos Beware of the Bear... iHF Veteran Advisor WCG Team Member

I used to belong to several BBS's, in Mt Isa it was MIMUG, the other was down in one southern states called Island By Mail a bit of play on IBM's name.

As you say we were guests on the boards and you respected the Sys Admin.

Dial up connections with a Commodore modem, if you had a good connection a download speed that would still take for ever to get a file.

3. Lord Chance

Lord Chance iHelpForum Jester & Door Greeter iHF Veteran Advisor WCG Team Member

Crush and other Forum Sys Admins would laugh at me because my User base was only about 300 active and I started out with a 14.4k modem. The whole system was run on a 20Mb hard drive when I finally shut it down. Small on terms of todays Forums to be sure but when you consider the fact that the Users had to wait for the User ahead to clear the line, those were 300 dedicated Users. Though I have lost track of most of those Users, I can say that we all became friends. It always amazed me where a User would call from. I had several that were in Canada and two that called in to network message traffic from the UK. Those were good time. Remembering those times is why I stayed with PCHF so long. Toby had a good solid core of Members and there was a sense of community. It is the same here. Chris, Terry and the core Members were and are people who have continued that sense of community. It is hard in these times of self entitlement. Maybe I am a foolish old man since no one cares about community and each other. Some ask me why I don't do FaceBook or Twitter. It is simple. For the most part those formats are about aggrandizement and one-upmanship. Everyone wants to play the starring role. I really don't care if someone "Likes" me. What I do care about is that someone communicates with me. You don't have to "Follow Me", just talk to me. We can agree, disagree, cuss and discuss. Exchange hopes, dreams and ideas. That is what this is supposed to all be about, the exchange. Bringing the world closer together. Learning from each other. Maybe even caring about each other. Am I being naive? Probably, but one can hope. :)