1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to iHelpForum - the place to get help from knowledgeable techs in all areas of Tech, Home and Auto help. Consider checking out our Guides or Registering an account to post on our forums today.

Dismiss Notice

The Insanity Of Australian Internet

Discussion in 'Tech Lounge' started by Crush, Aug 7, 2017.

1. Crush

Crush I am admin, ruler of my domain Administrator iHF Master Craftsman

2. Lord Chance

Lord Chance iHelpForum Jester & Door Greeter iHF Veteran Advisor WCG Team Member

3. Crush

Just came across his channel tonight actually

4. Lord Chance

Lord Chance iHelpForum Jester & Door Greeter iHF Veteran Advisor WCG Team Member

David Jones does a lot of old Tech tear down and Tech reviews. If you like that kind of stuff then check out his site. He is an Electronics Design Engineer. If you are into electronics then you might like Big Clive as well. He is geared more toward the beginner.

EEVblog
    BigCliveDotCom

Crush likes this.
  5. Arctos

Arctos Beware of the Bear... iHF Veteran Advisor WCG Team Member

My internet is not insane it works as advertised.

If I was shell about another $20.00 a month I can get 100Mbps down and 50Mbps up. As my 50 / 20 Mbps plan works very well at streaming and downloading I do not need more speed.

6. Pancake

Pancake To Protect and Serve Moderator iHF Master Craftsman Security Advisor

7. Arctos

If you want to point the bone why we are #56 or whatever in the list, the Australian populace needs to cast their minds back to who they voted for two federal elections ago.

If you had voted Labour, Australia WOULD have been higher up the list by using FTTH, instead of FTTN or other substitute fibre.

If you voted LNP coalition you deserve what you got, as I told a staunch LNP supporter at the bowls club because he was biatching about the abysmal connection he has.1 5 Km away from the node.

Edited to make it appear I am not picking on any Australia forum members that throw a hissy fit if they do not agree / misconstrue with what I post..

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
    Lord Chance likes this.
  8. Pancake

Pancake To Protect and Serve Moderator iHF Master Craftsman Security Advisor

We here in Diddillibah don't get connected in til October. I am only about fifty meters from the node so I should get a decent speed

9. Lord Chance

If Australia is 55th then the US is 155th. In the US 1.5 meg a sec is considered Broadband. What I pay for 6 meg, you my friends of OZ are getting far far better. As for a fiber connection, I won't see it in my area in my lifetime even though there is major fiber trunk within 200 meters of me. :)

Oh dear, who would have a hissy fit because of anything being said Mate? I say tell me what you think. I can take it cause I'm broad minded. Oh no, wait. It's my backside that is broad. :D

10. Lord Chance

11. Crush

[​IMG]
    :whistle::whistle::whistle:

Lord Chance likes this.
  12. Lord Chance

Go ahead and brag Turtleman. I happen to live in the backwoods where AT&T is still implementing drums and smoke signals. :lol:

Crush likes this.
  13. Arctos

You will get the full speed of whatever plan you go for.

I am 380 metres from the node on a 50 /20 deal with Optus, and as the pix of my speed test result shows I have only lost a small amount of speed in both directions.

[​IMG]

This is from the crippled Sagemcom POS modem router gateway Optus supplies whereit shows the line speed that corresponds with the tech who showed me what my line is capable of on a device he ahd.

Not bad for Cu cable laid down in 1984.

[​IMG]

Lord Chance likes this.