1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to iHelpForum - the place to get help from knowledgeable techs in all areas of Tech, Home and Auto help. Consider checking out our Guides or Registering an account to post on our forums today.

Dismiss Notice

The Parent Blog

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by DCiAdmin, Jun 14, 2014.

1. DCiAdmin

DCiAdmin Always room to learn a bit more Administrator iHF Legend WCG Team Member

The young are so blindly innocent. It's possible to do anything, be anything, when you're small because you still haven't been told you cannot.

driver_ian and Cameldung like this.
  2. NBK*Twitch

NBK*Twitch Person Of All Kinds iHF Veteran Advisor WCG Team Member

Telling a young child no is extremely difficult.. Learned that when my partner babysat her nieces... She says i'm a pushover

3. driver_ian

driver_ian In at the Deep End... Administrator iHF Legend Security Advisor

Especially if it's a word that is not in the childs vocabulary... :caution:

4. veeg

veeg Live Long And Eat Bacon Moderator WCG Team Member

It's amazing how kids can sniff out a push over....my son in law is one and my grand daughter has his number..

5. NBK*Twitch

NBK*Twitch Person Of All Kinds iHF Veteran Advisor WCG Team Member

No should always be in their vocabulary. But when a little girl comes up to you and asks something like can I have a cookie or can I have a hug... how can one say no lol?

DCiAdmin likes this.
  6. veeg

It's there powers....

7. driver_ian

driver_ian In at the Deep End... Administrator iHF Legend Security Advisor

At the risk of getting labelled a Paedophile...:caution:
    A distressed child in need of a hug would not be denied.... however requests for cookies might just be discouraged... [​IMG]

8. smee

smee Well-Known Member iHF Veteran

9. smee

smee Well-Known Member iHF Veteran

2015-01-04_114610.jpg

Arctos, elleran, driver_ian and 3 others like this.
  10. veeg

11. DCiAdmin

DCiAdmin Always room to learn a bit more Administrator iHF Legend WCG Team Member

I've been remiss. My children have kept me busy enough that I've been living and not blogging.

My daughter has had her school permit (15 years old and driving solo!) for almost 7 months. I'm pleased to say that it has been a very uneventful 7 months. She survived a Midwestern winter without a scratch on her or the car. I have learned something really important in teaching her though. Patience is key - I knew that but reinforcement helps me learn :) Also, empty campgrounds during the winter are a Great place to take skidding practice. According to the driving instructor, the 4000+ miles that we put on the car during 2014's summer vacation wasn't a bad idea either. My daughter probably drove about 1/3 of them.

It's amazing what you can learn from your kids if you take the time to listen. They don't always say things in sentences, or even to your face. But actions, bringing friends around, and showing respect to "elders" says a lot!

I took a chance a few weeks back. I scheduled a last minute overnight trip to another state with my son. My daughter had obligations that would keep her home for the night. Alone at home for the night. I remember being 15 with my parents out of town. I knew where the liquor cabinet was, I knew (sort of) how to mix a drink, and I had phone numbers for my friends. But my daughter isn't me, and it was time to give her the benefit of the doubt. She made it to work on time (volunteer job, no pay), called me when she got home, and called me the next day before heading to church. Church! Not a friend's house, not a party at my house, but off to church. I don't know how I've been so fortunate, but something has worked out well for me. The time spent traveling with my son was put to good use also. We took the driving hours to become reacquainted. He's a pretty amazing 13 year old; very out of the box. My lesson from this? I need to not assume, not take the kids for granted, and believe in the good every now and then. I might just be surprised.

Claw, Lord Chance and Cameldung like this.
  12. Cameldung

Cameldung I Like It Here iHF Veteran Advisor WCG Team Member

We have found when it come to passing down values the apples don't fall far from the tree. Sounds like you've done well Mum:D

DCiAdmin likes this.
  13. DCiAdmin

Thank you, CD. It's been very scary trying this on my own, but durned rewarding to see my daughter become the blessing that she has proven to be. The jury is still out on the son ;)

elleran likes this.
  14. Cameldung

Cameldung I Like It Here iHF Veteran Advisor WCG Team Member

I believe its a parents right to worry, god we did, but you also may like being doubly rewarded:)

DCiAdmin likes this.
  15. Antman

Antman Because, you know, Obama. iHF Regular Advisor

DCiAdmin likes this.