• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to iHelpForum - the place to get help from knowledgeable techs in all areas of Tech, Home and Auto help. Consider checking out our Guides or Registering an account to post on our forums today.

The Perplexity Of Plex...

Arctos

Beware of the Bear...
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
So I have got Chromecast up and running, and now having seen @Crush and someone else mentioning Plex on their Android device. So I installed the app to see what it can do for me.

Installed it on my mobile and all is good. A little notice popped up saying this app is crippled to one minute of playtime, so followed the link and activated it for a couple of dollars.

Now the Plex Server has been stocked with movies and tv shows, and a lot of my audio files that I wanted are listed. The video files play well and have sound, but the audio files just go through the motions of playing, by showing the play button then the pause / stop button when pressed seconds later.

Is there some trick to playing audio files on a mobile to listen to, or is this feature not available unless you pay for a Plex Pass to unlock more goodness.

Crush

I am admin, ruler of my domain
Administrator
iHF Master Craftsman
Is there some trick to playing audio files on a mobile to listen to, or is this feature not available unless you pay for a Plex Pass to unlock more goodness.
Sort of

https://support.plex.tv/articles/205744257-getting-started-with-plex-music/

All our users—whether you have a Plex Pass subscription or not—can use our regular music libraries. They’re still great and let you make use of the regular features listed earlier, but they won’t have the premium features.

What are these files encoded as? It's possible Plex just doesn't support the codec

FWIW I paid the $150 one time fee and have a Plex Pass, well worth it imho

Lord Chance

iHelpForum Jester & Door Greeter
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member

Arctos

Beware of the Bear...
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
What are these files encoded as? It's possible Plex just doesn't support the codec
FLAC, and they are supported as they play at home when I cast them at the tv with the phone, I just cannot get the files to play on it.
I had a read of that yesterday, I think, according to that they should play ok.
FWIW I paid the $150 one time fee and have a Plex Pass, well worth it imho
If I was a bling sort of person I might have gone down that track.

Arctos

Beware of the Bear...
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
So I would not have a clue fellers.
I have just tried it with some different audio formats Apple's m4a (non drm ALAK) and Google's mp3 (320 bit rate). My pos Oppo phone will not play them at all, but casts / flings / streams them ok.

Back to the drawing board methinks... :meh:

Arctos

Beware of the Bear...
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Things to check. Click Settings/ Advanced/ Audio and see what the audio boot is set at. Then check under Player and see if passthrough is disabled.
I just had a look:

Audio boost = None
Audio passthrough = disabled

I have tried them with variuos setting in boost - nothing, passthrough on auto - nothing.

So it looks like that I will have to stay with Google Play till I get another phone, it is not a big deal really. I am pleased that I have access to my television shows I recorded years ago to view with Plex when ever I am away from home.

Arctos

Beware of the Bear...
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member

Lord Chance

iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Better than $10 a month LC :)
Don't mind me Mate, I'm one of those that prefer a good book to TV and movies. If Plex works for you then Good On Ya. I stream audio books mostly so the MediaTomb server works for me. Since I have the TV blocked from Internet access Plex doesn't work for me.. :)

Lord Chance

iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
I just had a look:

Audio boost = None
Audio passthrough = disabled

I have tried them with variuos setting in boost - nothing, passthrough on auto - nothing.

So it looks like that I will have to stay with Google Play till I get another phone, it is not a big deal really. I am pleased that I have access to my television shows I recorded years ago to view with Plex when ever I am away from home.
Sorry Mate. I just don't have any knowledge of Plex. I removed it from my TV because it didn't work without an Internet connection and I learned my lesson on that matter. It's all I need letting the TV use up all my Data allotment. I only get 150Gb a month on my DSL. :caution:

Arctos

Beware of the Bear...
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Sorry Mate. I just don't have any knowledge of Plex. I removed it from my TV because it didn't work without an Internet connection and I learned my lesson on that matter. It's all I need letting the TV use up all my Data allotment. I only get 150Gb a month on my DSL. :caution:
I know what you mean by being wary of small data amounts.

I was on 200 gigs a month for years with Optus which was plenty and I managed to keep under it even when I got the Fetch TV box where I could stream stuff. I used to have a good usage meter in Furfox that kept me on the straight and narrow.

Then along came the NBN and the meter stopped working, but luckily they notified their customers on the basic plan I was on at 200 gig would be unlimited after a couple of month with the NBN.

I do not know how much I use now as the meter on my account page is blank.

Edit: changed bank to blank.

Last edited:

Arctos

Beware of the Bear...
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
One thing I have noticed with Plex, is that it does not use the correct album art from the audio folder. All of my FLAC amd MP3's have the correct album art in them.

I picked this up the the other day with the SKY audio folder that has around eight of their cd's in, some have the correct art but others have a black singer called Skye on display.

It seems to be a know bug going back several years according to their help forum. Surely it must be as easier to pick up the pix from the folder instead of downloading the wrong stuff.

Arctos

Beware of the Bear...
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Thanks LC, I am not sure if I have seen that thread, it does seem more recent than the other threads I have read.

I will open the link up in the Win 7 box so I can compare with what I have got on the HP.

All of my metadata came from FreeDB through dBpoweramp, or I put the info in myself so it's formatted the correct way. The majority of the album art I got from a US music store website years ago.