• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to iHelpForum - the place to get help from knowledgeable techs in all areas of Tech, Home and Auto help. Consider checking out our Guides or Registering an account to post on our forums today.

Thinking of buying a Chromecast 2

Arctos

Beware of the Bear...
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Anyone have any experience using these, as I have a deal going for a new notebook and a laser printer at this company which I have linked to.

I want it to replace the WD Media Player I have, and it would be great to watch the movies I have purchased at the Play Store in full screen on the tv instead of on a 10 inch screen.

http://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/officeworks/p/google-chromecast-2-gochrmcst2

DCiAdmin

Always room to learn a bit more
Administrator
iHF Legend
WCG Team Member
I believe that Chris has a Chromecast or maybe his mom does. Either way, I'm certain that he has experience with them.

@Crush , can you lend a word or two here?

Crush

I am admin, ruler of my domain
Administrator
iHF Master Craftsman
Chris owns three Chromecasts (the first generation ones, the ones Bear linked to are better) :)

I ordered one of the Chromecast Ultra's too that does 4K video so I'm going to replace the one I have in the living room with that. I use them daily to stream content from my NAS and watch Netflix. It works great for that purpose using the Plex App

Personally I'd wait another two to three weeks for the Ultra to come out.

Arctos

Beware of the Bear...
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
My main tv does not do 4K, so the 2 will do us.

Waste of time using Netflix as it it is geoblocked solid even with vpn here, and the Australian version is rubbish.

It's less than $50.00 so might try it out anyway.

I would like to know how easy it is to setup, with the mobiles, tablets and the computers...

Arctos

Beware of the Bear...
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Maybe this LINK will help for the Macbook Mate.
Thanks LC, that will keep my partner happy.

A cool trick is you can use Chrome to drag a media file into it, and cast the tab to a Chromecast with the Cast extension

More info here
That's what I want to do with the new note book, hook a Toshiba usb 3 hard drive up to get the media files casted.

My daughter links her tablet and or the device itself to her big screen..
I could hook the notebook up to the tv with the hdmi ports as well, except I am running short of them.

Can you get powered multi hdmi hubs like you can usb hubs...

Crush

Administrator
iHF Master Craftsman
Can you get powered multi hdmi hubs like you can usb hubs...
Yes you can. See here

I checked the AU amazon and they didn't have any

That's what I want to do with the new note book, hook a Toshiba usb 3 hard drive up to get the media files casted.
You'd have to use something like Plex to get that up and running from a shared drive.

Arctos

Beware of the Bear...
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
I checked the AU amazon and they didn't have any
Waste of space Amazon AU they have hardly anything, I do not have an account with them as I prefer my accounts at Amazon and Amazon UK.

They are supposed to be opening a bricks and mortar place here in the next couple of years so should come good then.

:mrgreen:

I will put one on my Officework shopping list and see what they have.

Arctos

Beware of the Bear...
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Make them into mp4's with Handbrake matey
I want them as iso files as they are a full backup of the dvd sans copy protection, which I might add the original dvd is never played again after ripping.

I prefer the .mkv container in Handbrake, which is what I converted all of the Scandinavian serials and movies that I recorded off of the television to.

I might have to reconsider the purchase of Chromecast, and look at the other media players including a new WD which does not need Plex...

Crush

Administrator
iHF Master Craftsman
I might have to reconsider the purchase of Chromecast, and look at the other media players including a new WD which does not need Plex...
Plex transcodes MKV so, unless you have a beefy machine you're going to run into issues (like I did using a machine with a Intel Atom

Arctos

Beware of the Bear...
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
It seems a waste of my time and money using those apps and hardware, I may as well use my old Western Digital media Player. That just plays all of the video and music formats without any pigfriggin around with transcoding.

So much for new technical innovation if they will not play the original format...

Edit: Typos

Last edited: