• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to iHelpForum - the place to get help from knowledgeable techs in all areas of Tech, Home and Auto help. Consider checking out our Guides or Registering an account to post on our forums today.

Thinking of buying a Chromecast 2

Arctos

Beware of the Bear...
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
I picked one up yesterday morning from HN for $60.00, so still have some money left on my gift vouchers

It is easy to set up, just had to rearrange my power board so that the power plug was a bit closer. It took a while to download the upgrade it apparently needed and install it, so we went out and by the time we got back it was ready to cast.

Had a bit of a play with it and it seems easy enough to use, I am not much fussed on Google Home app tho, all it keeps showing me is junk stuff at the moment.

Arctos

Beware of the Bear...
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
I have just got the latest version of VLC and worked out to cast movies from a external harddrive

This article from HTG got me started on the right track and also has the link for VLC 3.0 download link.

The only thing different on mine I had to go to Playback / Renderer / Office TV to get it to work, this is different than the article saying Video / Renderer / Office TV.

I have only tried mp4 and avi file so far that work, mkv cast but no audio.

There's a nice screen saver / slideshow when CC is idle.

Last edited: