• Welcome to iHelpForum - the place to get help from knowledgeable techs in all areas of Tech, Home and Auto help. Consider checking out our Guides or Registering an account to post on our forums today.

Thinking of buying a Chromecast 2

DCiAdmin

Always room to learn a bit more
Administrator
iHF Legend
WCG Team Member
@Crush - you have a Chrome Cast, don't you?

Arctos

Beware of the Bear...
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
I picked one up yesterday morning from HN for $60.00, so still have some money left on my gift vouchers

It is easy to set up, just had to rearrange my power board so that the power plug was a bit closer. It took a while to download the upgrade it apparently needed and install it, so we went out and by the time we got back it was ready to cast.

Had a bit of a play with it and it seems easy enough to use, I am not much fussed on Google Home app tho, all it keeps showing me is junk stuff at the moment.

Arctos

Beware of the Bear...
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
I have just got the latest version of VLC and worked out to cast movies from a external harddrive

This article from HTG got me started on the right track and also has the link for VLC 3.0 download link.

The only thing different on mine I had to go to Playback / Renderer / Office TV to get it to work, this is different than the article saying Video / Renderer / Office TV.

I have only tried mp4 and avi file so far that work, mkv cast but no audio.

There's a nice screen saver / slideshow when CC is idle.

Last edited:

Crush

I am admin, ruler of my domain
Administrator
iHF Master Craftsman
My Chromecast is playing up, I have to factory reset it nearly every time I use it to get the cast button to show in my android apps. :wtf:
I have this same issue. Usually relaunching the app on the device I am casting from a few times fixes it for whatever reason.

Ordered a couple of Amazon Firesticks seeing as they are on special from Amazon, and half the price of a new Chromecast...:)
Yeah but they suck :)

Arctos

Beware of the Bear...
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
@Crush I do not know if what I did yesterday is going to be a permanent fix, but I changed the usb power supply by plugging tte usb cable into a multiple usb powered hub.

I just flicked the tv on and selected the hdmi 2 channel which is the chromecast, and the desktop came on as normal. cast the amazon video app at it from my phone and it came up first go. It's going to be Awesome.

As the power to the chromecast all night as it was not turned off as it previously was, and was warm to the touch. Hopeful that is ok with it by leaving it on.

@Lord Chance, no ...do not be a Luddite mate.

Lord Chance

iHelpForum Jester & Door Greeter
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
@Crush I do not know if what I did yesterday is going to be a permanent fix, but I changed the usb power supply by plugging tte usb cable into a multiple usb powered hub.

I just flicked the tv on and selected the hdmi 2 channel which is the chromecast, and the desktop came on as normal. cast the amazon video app at it from my phone and it came up first go. It's going to be Awesome.

As the power to the chromecast all night as it was not turned off as it previously was, and was warm to the touch. Hopeful that is ok with it by leaving it on.

@Lord Chance, no ...do not be a Luddite mate.
@Arctos - I did some looking Arctos and the Chromecast needs a minimum of about 850 milliamps to operate normally. It is possible that the power adapter you were using has de-rated over time or your Chromecast is wanting more power to run. This is common as a device ages. As for leaving it powered, Most people never turn their devices off so it should not cause issues. :)

Arctos

Beware of the Bear...
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
It is possible that the power adapter you were using has de-rated over time or your Chromecast is wanting more power to run.
It is a old, it belonged to the Oppo phone I had I think. I will sort t he power board out this morning to re-arrange the stuff plugged into it, that I no longer use or have got rid off.