• Welcome to iHelpForum - the place to get help from knowledgeable techs in all areas of Tech, Home and Auto help. Consider checking out our Guides or Registering an account to post on our forums today.

Upgrading to 10

Pancake

To Protect and Serve
iHF Master Craftsman
Security Advisor
Tried to upgrade from 7 to 10 but it failed and gave error message with code C1900101-20017. Seems there are a lot of people out there in the same boat. I cant seem to find an answer to it. Tried most of the suggestions .

Pancake

To Protect and Serve
iHF Master Craftsman
Security Advisor
I will check them out. Failing that I will stay with 7

Pancake

To Protect and Serve
iHF Master Craftsman
Security Advisor
Well I managed to get 10 upgrade. In doing so, It took out Bitdefender, Live Mail, Favorites, Favourites Bar and MailWasher Pro. Not impressed.:mad:

Cameldung

I Like It Here
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
The best way is to CLEAN install Windows 10, which is now legal using your old Windows id number. It is no longer necessary to first upgrade to 10, then reformat and reinstall 10. I have 10 running on an old p45 chipset socket 775 pc and it runs great. The final release of 10 after the all the pre release carp is very nice. Its nearly time to update all my other machines.

Depending when pre 10 windows updates were turned off you may have the Micro$oft spam gwx carp on your machine.

Arctos

Beware of the Bear...
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
<snipped>
Depending when pre 10 windows updates were turned off you may have the Micro$oft spam gwx carp on your machine.
Right after I reformatted and reinstalled Win 7, they can shove their 300 plus updates right up where the sun don't shine.

Service Pack 2 or nothing, stuff Microsoft... :caution:

DCiAdmin

Always room to learn a bit more
Administrator
iHF Legend
WCG Team Member
I did the Windows 10 update when it was offered. Took it on both my desktop and laptop systems - had no issues on either one. At least as far as the OS goes. The desktop did have a legacy video card that WindX didn't have drivers for, so I was without dual screen for a bit. A snappy new vid card took care of that issue for me.

I've had WindX for quite some time now and have been very pleased. Although we are running Server 2012 at the office and WindX is very similar, so I might have had a "headstart" in getting used to the new GUI.

Lord Chance

iHelpForum Jester & Door Greeter
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
I did the Windows 10 update when it was offered. Took it on both my desktop and laptop systems - had no issues on either one. At least as far as the OS goes. The desktop did have a legacy video card that WindX didn't have drivers for, so I was without dual screen for a bit. A snappy new vid card took care of that issue for me.

I've had WindX for quite some time now and have been very pleased. Although we are running Server 2012 at the office and WindX is very similar, so I might have had a "headstart" in getting used to the new GUI.
That is the trouble with Windows 10 M'Lady. There are many of us who are running those older devices because we have not found a need to update them. Windows 10 is going to make you buy new just so you can run the OS. It is also prime reason for the device manufacturers to stop updating device drivers. Microsoft Windows as a service? I get that but bloody well make it a service that takes care of it's customers. I can assure you that the part of Windows dealing with device drivers has not changed that much between versions. Also if LINUX can support legacy devices then Windows can. :)

Arctos

Beware of the Bear...
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
The same driver issue applies with Win 7, my laser printer (10 years old) I had to use a Vista driver to get it work.

I never have found a driver for my Canon flatbed scanner which I purchased around the same time as I upgraded to XP sp1.

My Creative Soundworks speakers are 15 years old (got them the same time as Win ME) and still going strong, more than the Harman Kardon speakers speakers I replaced them with are. Thankfully they are plug and play without having to pray there's a driver to run them.

Same plug and play magic for the 22" Chimei monitor which is around the same age as the printer I think.

This is why I do not want 10 on this box as there is other old goodness internally, my 2 tv tuner cards, and my graphics card have a bit of age about them both were installed in Win XP boxes originally.

DCiAdmin

Always room to learn a bit more
Administrator
iHF Legend
WCG Team Member
Yes, my video card was original to my Dell XP desktop, so I didn't whine too much when I replaced it. Yes, it still worked in WindX and would even give me Clone mode, but I couldn't extend the desktop across two monitors. I could care less about seeing things in duplicate, so it was either 1 monitor or replace the card as far as I was concerned. And since I'm not a gamer, having outrageous FPS or 3D or.... didn't really top my list of priorities.