• Welcome to iHelpForum - the place to get help from knowledgeable techs in all areas of Tech, Home and Auto help. Consider checking out our Guides or Registering an account to post on our forums today.

USB Confusion

Cameldung

I Like It Here
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Time for another silly one?

I just bought a 2TB Toshiba 2.5 inch portable hard drive. It is clearly marked USB2 & USB3, and it works perfectly on a usb3 port when plugged directly into the pc, or through a usb3 extension cable.

It will also work when plugged into a usb2 port using the very short cable that came with the drive, but it will not work using a usb2 extension cable plugged into a usb2 or 3 port. Tried it on several pcs with the same result.

In short the only extension cable it will work with is a usb3 ext cable. Is this normal?

Have tried several extension cables, and the cables have been plugged into the pc, and the other end to the short cable that came with the drive.

Thanks

Cameldung

I Like It Here
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Hi Pancake, thank you for the link. It does seem to indicate though that the usb3 device will work with usb2 cables, albeit at a lower speed, which is definitely not the case with my pc's. Just ordered half a dozen more usb3 extension cables to swap with my old usb2 ones. Sounds a bit like something Microsoft designed;):caution:

Pancake

To Protect and Serve
iHF Master Craftsman
Security Advisor
I have a similar problem.I have two computers. One runs any type of usb stick but the other will only run brand named ones.Its fussy. It's weird.

Cameldung

I Like It Here
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Ive got a new pc with native usb3 and the correct drivers installed, using usb3 cables, and have a usb3 flash drive permanently plugged in. When the pc boots the old message " this device could run faster if plugged into a usb3 port" Maybe the error comes up before the drivers are fully loaded, who knows? Its all usb3 because the flash drive flies. It has a ssd hard drive so maybe it boots too quick for usb, or something. If i unplug the flash drive, boot the pc, and plug the flash drive in then, there is no error.

I think there are some things we are not supposed to understand, bit like women :banghead: