• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to iHelpForum - the place to get help from knowledgeable techs in all areas of Tech, Home and Auto help. Consider checking out our Guides or Registering an account to post on our forums today.

Wanna See What Data Google Collects?

Lord Chance

iHelpForum Jester & Door Greeter
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
We know the story of Facebook and Twitter and how they are collecting data on you. We even know what they are doing with that data but have you considered what Google collects and how they use it. If you what to see your data then you can go to takeout.google.com/takeout to download what they have archived. Is this all the data they collect? I very much doubt it. What I suspect is that it is a front to hide what other data they collect. I have looked at the archive for just one of my GMail accounts (Yes, I have several) and find, aside from the email, there is nothing there too disturbing. Some things I do to lessen the impact.

• I never sync my contacts with Gmail or Google. I use a stand alone email client.
  • Any Search I do, I do not logon. Whether the browser is Chrome, FireFox or Opera. If at all possible use a secure Search Engine like Go Duck Go. There are several of these search engines out there. Here are just a few, Qwant, searX, SwissCows, Gibiru and StartPage.
  • Never upload files, documents or photos that is of a private, personal or secure nature to Google Drive.
In essence if you don't want your data public the don't let Google have it.

Arctos

Beware of the Bear...
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
If you what to see your data then you can go to takeout.google.com/takeout to download what they have archived. Is this all the data they collect?
That's an interesting link LC.

I have been trying to get rid of my google searches on my mobile as there just to many to delete individually I want to bulk delete the lot.

I wonder if you can delete stuff from that link or isi t a pick and choose what you can see?

Lord Chance

iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
That's an interesting link LC.

I have been trying to get rid of my google searches on my mobile as there just to many to delete individually I want to bulk delete the lot.

I wonder if you can delete stuff from that link or isi t a pick and choose what you can see?
That is a good questions Arctos. I didn't look closely. I did turn a lot of thing off but I always do when I set up another Google account. :)

DCiAdmin

Always room to learn a bit more
Administrator
iHF Legend
WCG Team Member
Great information, LC. I appreciate it. I'll have to follow up with that link and see how "compromised" I am. Like you, I have several gmail accounts and try to keep things private, but I'm sure I've slipped.

Lord Chance

iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Great information, LC. I appreciate it. I'll have to follow up with that link and see how "compromised" I am. Like you, I have several gmail accounts and try to keep things private, but I'm sure I've slipped.
I think you will find less to worry about in what you see than most. If you are like me then you don't put things on the net that you wouldn't show your children. My emails are kept bland to say the least and if I have to send any important information I do so in a password protected archived file. I never send pictures of myself (wouldn't want to frighten anyone) nor do I send personal info. Think you can trace me by my IP address? Go ahead and try. The closest you will come is at the very least is 150 miles. I used to love the "This is your IP" trick the script kiddies used to play on users in the Chats. I used to tell them for their next big trick they could show everyone in chat my home address. For some reason they never got it right. :lol:

Anyway, what is in that archive is not everything Google keeps on you I suspect. It is just a dog and pony show to make you think Google is on the up and up. You can't keep them from dredging thru your data but you can make most of what they find less profitable. ;)

Lord Chance

iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member

Arctos

Beware of the Bear...
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
I cane across that link yesterday, I managed to get rid of my search history on the Android with Google Activity once I found it.

It got rid of all my old searches, but now has replaced the search box full of bent / broken arrows pointing to the right hand side, with useless (to me) news feeds from Google (hey google thingy). I have been using search as it has the latest queries at the top so might get rid of that eventually.