• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to iHelpForum - the place to get help from knowledgeable techs in all areas of Tech, Home and Auto help. Consider checking out our Guides or Registering an account to post on our forums today.

Which cpu for crunching

Cameldung

I Like It Here
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Hello all, Im crunching on a spare pc with an old socket775 e8400 cpu, question is would it be faster with a q9400 quad core instead of the old dual core??? Im only talking about using it for crunching here, no other reason.
Thanks

Cameldung

I Like It Here
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Thanks for the quick response, ive got a spare q9400 in the draw so I might slip it in. I believe they draw more power which in turn means heat, but that should not be issues seeing ive got my old e8400 running at 49c degrees at 100%

Thanks

blackheeler

iHF Regular
WCG Team Member
Hmmm, looks like someone has caught the crunchin' bug.... :mrgreen::lol:

Generally more cores/threads will increase your bang for the buck when crunching (more tasks completed simultaneously) although hyper-threading can cause tasks to run longer due to the increased system resources required. There will be a break-even point with regards to credits for tasks (time taken versus credit given), again this point will depend on whether the project offers fixed credits or sliding scale!

Sorry for the long winded explanation! :facepalm:;)

Cameldung

I Like It Here
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Hmmm, looks like someone has caught the crunchin' bug.... :mrgreen::lol:

Generally more cores/threads will increase your bang for the buck when crunching (more tasks completed simultaneously) although hyper-threading can cause tasks to run longer due to the increased system resources required. There will be a break-even point with regards to credits for tasks (time taken versus credit given), again this point will depend on whether the project offers fixed credits or sliding scale!

Sorry for the long winded explanation! :facepalm:;)
Ive read too much on comparing the old dual core e8400 to the q9400, and I think the more ive researched the muddier the water gets. For whats its worth since the q9400 has been installed ive noticed that there is now 4 projects running instead of 2, but ive yet to discover the speed of completing the tasks, but I guess that's not possible, so I shan't bother trying.

What is different is the highest core temp has now dropped to 45C at 100%cpu, and I expected the temp to be higher the the core 2 duo, but maybe ive read too much, and im running a big mama cooler?

Crunchin's good:mrgreen:

blackheeler

iHF Regular
WCG Team Member
Don't stress, its easy to do the comparison!

click on the "My Contribution" tab at the top of the page,
click the "Results status" tab on the left hand side of the page,
in the "result status" drop down box click on valid,
click "filter" and it will give you a list of all your valid completed tasks.

Pick two tasks from the same sub-project either side of the time you changed over the to Q9400 and the "CPU time" column will tell the story! :mrgreen: