• Welcome to iHelpForum - the place to get help from knowledgeable techs in all areas of Tech, Home and Auto help. Consider checking out our Guides or Registering an account to post on our forums today.

Win 7 Laptop Runs Very Slow and Valid Programs won't Update

Antman

Because, you know, Obama.
Advisor
Assuming you are still in Clean Boot mode, and using Task Manager (right click taskbar, select Task Manager), please review running processes.

Click a header to sort. Check names for mscorw.exe (known to cause high CPU spike for a short period after install/update. Normal and temporary).

Click header to sort. under CPU, what are the entries with highest CPU% and what are the values?

Will be offline for daughter's visit to orthodontist.

Capture.PNG

Antman

Advisor
And because I cannot 'let it go' regarding hard drive health: what does the disk column* look like?

*If it is present in Win7 task manager

Edd

iHF Regular
@Antman...I rebooted and performance got better again. Here is the graph from the initial boot for about 20 minutes or so. The initial peaks were from wmpnetwk.exe. Except for one in the middle caused by update.exe, the ones at the end are from chrome. Chrome was not open initially. I opened it to post this reply. Machine is running OK now.
Hope this is what you wanted. As Archos pointed out there is no "disk" tab in Win 10. Thanks

Attachments

Antman

Advisor
No worries. The I/O table in the attached picture is essentially the same thing.

Moving forward, based on your assessment that "machine is running OK now":

Part A
If you do not use Computer A to play media stored on Computer B, you could go Administrative Tools/Services, locate a service called "Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service" and disable it. Once located, double click the entry or right click, select Properties. This is optional. It will have almost zero effect on CPU% AFTER the PC boots. It will just shorten the length of time the PC requires to "stabilize" on startup.

Capture.PNG

Last edited:

Antman

Advisor
Part B, aka The Fun Part

Assumption: the PC is running OK now because we are in Clean Start Mode.

That means, one of the currently disabled programs or services may be the cause of our troubles. To prove this, re-enable EVERYTHING we currently have disabled. Restart.

Has the problem returned? If no, please remit payment of $0 to iHelpForum and close this thread.

If Yes, re-enable Clean Start Mode EXCEPT enable a few of the disabled items (some people do one at a time).
Restart after each set of re-enabled items.

At some point, the problem will present itself again. When it does, the last set of re-enabled items contains the offender.

Antman

Advisor
And just a note:
You do not need most of the items that you disabled during the Clean Start mode process. Much of that tends to support programs you rarely if ever use. If you do need something that we disabled here, your PC will tell you at the appropriate time. Just remember how you got here.

You could present screenshots of the MSCONFIG window. Tech nerds enjoy looking at them and debating what should be enabled or uninstalled.

Like the Java warning you received earlier in this thread. Some techs shoot those.

Edd

iHF Regular
@Antman I disabled the network music service that you suggested and then disabled startup services that aren't often used and rebooted. Seems OK and now that I know how to attack the problem, I can tweak more if necessary. I included 2 screenshots of msconfig so you can see what I kept and disabled in Startup.

I think we can declare victory !!

Thanks to all for your help.

Attachments

Antman

Advisor
Yes. There is a bit of useless stuff in there. I like AutoRuns for the task of managing start-up items. Re-enable EVERYTHING in MSCONFIG before using Autoruns.

DO NOT TOUCH the drivers section. It will be tempting to play there. DO NOT.

I recommend that you limit your activity to the tabs Logon, Winlogon, Services, and Scheduled Tasks

In my own configuration, you can see that I disable some software that is useful - but I do not use it everyday - so I disable it most of the time. Too easy to mange the items with this handy tool.

Also note:
I do not think you will find much support at this forum for keeping Java on your PC. I use it on one machine in my home - but only because I need it in order to use an Xbox controller. That particular machine is locked down pretty tightly in terms of internet and local network access. Java has many friends in dark places that you might want to avoid.

I recommend that you uninstall Java.

Capture.PNG

DCiAdmin

Always room to learn a bit more
Administrator
iHF Legend
WCG Team Member
@Edd - I had intended to be useful to you, but our timings seemed to be off. So very glad that things are running well for you. And even better, that you have learned how to use a few tools to "tweak" the PC yourself. Please stop by often.

@Antman - Thank you for picking up more promptly than I was able to manage. And many thanks for your very capable assist!

Edd

iHF Regular
@Antman I don't have an XBox. Would I lose anything significant if I get rid of Java?

@DCi Similar to the PC Help Forum I remember fondly, the people who offer help here are a great group. I took me awhile to find you and I'm very glad I did.

Thanks again to all !!

Antman

Advisor
The easy part is - if you do you lose any functionality, you will get a pop-up box that says "You need Java to do this. Go here and get it."

Odds are, you will not ever see this. Java was useful in its time. And that time is past.

Arctos

Beware of the Bear...
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
The easy part is - if you do you lose any functionality, you will get a pop-up box that says "You need Java to do this. Go here and get it."

Odds are, you will not ever see this. Java was useful in its time. And that time is past.
I still use Java for one programme DV Scheduler, this the epg I can click on whatever television shows I want to record on the computer.

There is nothing better to use that is non java...

Antman

Advisor
I still use Java for one programme DV Scheduler, this the epg I can click on whatever television shows I want to record on the computer.

There is nothing better to use that is non java...
I feel your pain. The true reason I have not adopted WindX is the loss of an easy to use EPG. A TV tuner is in use 90% of the time my PC is powered on.

But Edd, Arctos is not your average bear. If a back door is opened on his PC, he would hear a creaking door or notice the footprints. Plus, I have it on good authority that Arctos uses his PC to record gay horror shows.

P.S. Thank you Arctos. I grabbed the copy you posted.