• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to iHelpForum - the place to get help from knowledgeable techs in all areas of Tech, Home and Auto help. Consider checking out our Guides or Registering an account to post on our forums today.

Windows 10 help

Gallorg

Hi Guys,

I need some help, my mother in law (MIL) just upgraded her pc to windows 10, and bought a new acer monitor, now the problem is when she switches on all the start up & desktop is really blurry and the only way to fix it is to remove the power socket then put it back in & it all corrects itself, her pC guy reckons its the wifi router that needs replacing but i cant see that being the case, any help please

DCiAdmin

Always room to learn a bit more
Administrator
iHF Legend
WCG Team Member
Good morning, Gallorg! Lovely to see you again.

The power socket to the monitor or the power socket to the PC? Or do you mean the video cable between the PC & monitor?

Lord Chance

iHelpForum Jester & Door Greeter
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Hello Gallorg, I would agree with Veeg in his doubts that the Wi-Fi is causing the problem. Monitors and their cables are too well shielded for this to be the case. What I suspect is a video cable or connector issue. Without the specs on the hardware I am only guessing. If you have an extra video cable then do a swap to see if that helps. :)

Arctos

Beware of the Bear...
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
I am trying to figure out what the wifi has to do with it.. Have you tried to reset your display settings?
It would have nothing to do with it Veeg, I have just replaced my monitor for a Acer that I bought for a spare and it sorted the resolution etc. by itself out when I first turned it on.

It runs quite happily with the nVidia gpu drivers that were installed for the old Chimei graphics card by Windows.

In the on screen display there is a setting where you can switch from digital or analog, that might be set on analog would be the only thing I can think...

Edit: Clarity for the OP.

Last edited:

Gallorg

Hi Guys

Thanks for your replies, sorry i havent been around, i have passed on your replies to MIL.

Her pc man now reckons she might need a new card to be added!!

I be around hers sat evening

DCiAdmin

Always room to learn a bit more
Administrator
iHF Legend
WCG Team Member
Furmark could be used to test the GPU's thermal performance and stability. Also keep in mind that many manufacturers have a built-in diagnostic and the gpu could be tested there as well.

Just a thought, but I would try replacing the VGA, DVi, or HDMI cable before I replaced the monitor.

Gallorg

Ok she reckons she changed the cables with it still playing. By the time I got round to her she's taken the machine to this pic guy who apparently has taken out a graphics card which isn't comparable with Windows 10. She was using vista from memory. I have to say how a graphics card would intervere on start up. Apparently it's working ok now and the guy did it for free. Does this sound right to any one?

Lord Chance

iHelpForum Jester & Door Greeter
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Ok she reckons she changed the cables with it still playing. By the time I got round to her she's taken the machine to this pic guy who apparently has taken out a graphics card which isn't comparable with Windows 10. She was using vista from memory. I have to say how a graphics card would intervere on start up. Apparently it's working ok now and the guy did it for free. Does this sound right to any one?
The motherboard handles the lower functions of the video card on boot. When Windows starts up it takes over when the video drivers are initiated. When your video card starts as it should then when Windows starts and issues appear it is likely driver issues but if issues appear from a cold boot then it is likely a hardware issue. It is possible that the video BIOS on the card had become corrupted. Windows 10 does not work well with older devices so I would give the PC guy a pass and a hearty good job for helping your Mother-in-Law. :)

Antman

Because, you know, Obama.
Advisor
I experienced a variety of video related issues when first upgrading several PCs to WIndX - including one case of "fuzzy screen". All of them resolved themselves after at least one restart. The only machine that presented a continuing challenge was the one I tried to correct myself.