• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to iHelpForum - the place to get help from knowledgeable techs in all areas of Tech, Home and Auto help. Consider checking out our Guides or Registering an account to post on our forums today.

Information Windows 10 Preview

Crush

I am admin, ruler of my domain
Administrator
iHF Master Craftsman
Microsoft has released information on their next foray into the Operating System world with Windows 10.

That's right, apparently Microsoft can't count and will be releasing Windows 10 Technical Preview tomorrow.

Key features include an updated start menu, which is more in line with the interface of previous versions of Windows prior to 8/8.1

Microsoft will also be releasing an updated programming interface that will allow developers to make one app that will run on all Windows 10 devices.

Lord Chance

iHelpForum Jester & Door Greeter
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
From what I understand they'll be merging the modern UI with the "normal" one

http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2014/09/30/announcing-windows-10/
I was just going to post that link but you beat me to it. There is a couple of features that look interesting.

So that 8.1 release was in fact Win 9, makes sense if your right about breaking the good / bad cycle LC.

I am still waiting for a SP2 for Win 7... :mute:
I quit waiting Arctos. I just use a small program to download the updates and burn them to disk so I have them in case I have to reinstall. Even with DSL the updates are a bloody nuisance.:caution:

Twitch6000

Person Of All Kinds
Advisor
WCG Team Member
I heard about this today at work.... I don't get it.. Why not just call it a special name like they use to with xp and vista.... This just makes them seem like they can't count...

TechJohn

iHF Veteran
WCG Team Member

Lord Chance

iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Nice.. I do however think its a benefit to add the Metro UI onto start-up. Still have a mix of Windows 8 and 7. I think that's what Windows 8.1 should have been from the start. Also mods please remove my post, didn't mean to double post on the same topic.

Here is my post-> http://www.ihelpforum.com/index.php?threads/microsoft-10-announced.46048/
In my humble opinion the Metro UI is too distracting . I work with a minimal Desktop. Mind you this is all personal preference so I would think giving the User a choice of how they want their Desktop to look would satisfy most people. Frankly the OS and GUI has blurred over the years. I would like to see more focus on the OS and let the User configure the GUI how best suites their needs and wants. :)

Lord Chance

iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Is it good enough to replace Windows 98?
Windows 10 is in Preview release CincyJim. It is not something you would put on a work day computer. There are many issues to be corrected and most of the features are either disabled or not yet programed in. I have seen some reviews of the new features that have been proposed for the new Windows. Some I find interesting while others are ho hum in my opinion. In any event, I assume the new Windows will require an up to date computer. This is an issue I personally disagree with. Many of my customers could not afford to buy new computers every time Microsoft decided to bring out a new Operating System. :)

Lord Chance

iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Bill Gates is just greedy. Nobody needed XP. 98 should have been improved because it's all anybody will ever need.
In my opinion the same could be said for Windows 95 on back to Dos 3.0 but here we are. If Windows 98 serves you well then I see no need to advance further but as you are no doubt finding out it is getting harder to navigate the Internet because of the changes made to keep up with the advances. It is a sad truth. :)

LoneWolf_53

Cap'n Crunch
iHF Master Craftsman
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
One has little choice but to evolve because all the software does, ergo anyone clinging to old operating systems such as XP may well be able to do basics like email and such, but their functionality will continually decay.

I have an acquaintance who insists on keeping XP on a machine that's ten plus years old with less than 1GB RAM and he constantly complains about things not functioning. He brought it to me insisting he must have a virus because his Google Earth wouldn't function as it used to.

The amusing thing is he's obsessive about always updating and upgrading any software he has such as Google Earth, but ignores the fact that his graphics card is a dinosaur unable to meet the standards Google Earth now requires.

I've attempted to teach him to check system requirements before upgrading an item, but alas it falls on deaf ears.

Antman

Because, you know, Obama.
Advisor
I have not found a Win98 browser that will work on a modern website. Perhaps, I did not look hard enough.

DCiAdmin

Always room to learn a bit more
Administrator
iHF Legend
WCG Team Member
And if Windows 98 is good enough, then perhaps Bill Gates really did say....
at a computer trade show in 1981, Bill Gates supposedly uttered this statement, in defense of the just-introduced IBM PC's 640KB usable RAM limit: "640K ought to be enough for anybody.

Twitch6000

Person Of All Kinds
Advisor
WCG Team Member
I have not found a Win98 browser that will work on a modern website. Perhaps, I did not look hard enough.
This video actually has links and video on certain tools to make windows98 compatible with modern programs. I have done this myself and it was quite a fun experiment.

Windows 98 SP3 and Kernel Ex are the main ones he shows in the video.

Note: video is old

Highlander

The Immortal
iHF Master Craftsman
Advisor
WCG Team Member
On my Win7 PC Notification area, I have found a Get Windows 10 icon. Has anyone activated the icon and if so what happened?
I do not want my Win7 to blow up.

Thanks