• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to iHelpForum - the place to get help from knowledgeable techs in all areas of Tech, Home and Auto help. Consider checking out our Guides or Registering an account to post on our forums today.

Windows failed to start..A recent hardware error and BSOD error STOP; 0X000000ED

mikeinstlouis

iHF Regular
TIME OUT!!!!!

My laptop is running a worse!!!,
since I started the process I have noticed a painfully annoying difference.

Every time I am on a web page, the cursor jumps all the way to the bottom of the page without me touching it!!

It happens on IE and google chrome and it seems to have started when I started messing with that Zoek program...in fact as I type this the cursor has jumped to the bottom of the page six times making it impossible to type!

I can't even browse a page without it jumping to the bottom making it impossible to use my computer. Before I do anything else...I need this fixed! This has made working on this laptop impossible and it never did this before I started this process. Please advise because my laptop now is a piece of junk!!!!

A very annoyed mikeinstlouis!!!!!!

Last edited:

Cameldung

I Like It Here
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
A very annoyed mikeinstlouis!!!!!!
Have you run the scans requested in the post immediately before your last one? Following the instructions in that post will only help you get your computer fixed, and by the way, you are being advised by one of the best.

Malware removal is a complex process and each infection cleanup routine is different.

Help yourself and follow the advice!!!!!!

Last edited:

mikeinstlouis

iHF Regular
Thanks!
I think I had too many of the programs on my desktop. I deleted the ones that I had used and the problem went away. Leaving town this weekend and will get to the other cleaners as soon as I can.
Mike

Malnutrition

Still Hungry
iHF Master Craftsman
:) It would be best if we could get things done in the span of a couple of days. So when you have time to do things then post. :) A fresh FRST log and addition.txt would be nice. If we can get it done more a less at once then you will notice results.

mikeinstlouis

iHF Regular
Unfortunately, I'm not going to be doing anything.

My computer is doing exactly the same thing that it was before. I tried to turn it on, it boots up and all I get is a black screen with a big white arrow. That's it. I don't know what else to do to fix it. Is doing exactly the same thing it did before I tried to fix it. That's where I need to start .

I did notice my Symantic antivirus popping up saying that it was going to block some pages and some activity, but my laptop seemed to be running fine. I turned it off like I always do and when I tried to log in today, I got the same exact error as in my first post here...What am I doing wrong!?

Could this possibly be due to a problem with my hard drive? A physical problem like my hard drive dying?

Thanks so much!
Mikeinstlouis

Last edited:

Malnutrition

Still Hungry
iHF Master Craftsman
Boot-Repair-Disc:
  • DOWNLOAD BOOT-REPAIR-DISK
    Note: Select the right version depending on which windows is installed on your system.
  • Then burn it on CD or put it on USB key via UNetbootin
  • Insert the Boot-Repair-Disk and reboot the PC,
  • Choose your language,
  • Connect internet if possible
  • Click "Recommended repair"
  • When finished, you are provided a link to paste.ubuntu.com - write it down somewhere
  • Reboot the pc --> solves the majority of bootsector/GRUB/MBR problems
  • Post up the link you wrote down at step 6.

mikeinstlouis

iHF Regular
It did not work. It goes to the starting Windows screen, and just like before it goes to the blue screen of death and then right back to the Windows error recovery and continuously loops like that.... I could not connect to the Internet to save it at the internet site unfortunately. So I can't give you the log

Last edited:

mikeinstlouis

iHF Regular
I tried this before but it wouldn't get that far on the disk I will try again. I have to drive back to Kansas City for some issues with my dad's estate. I know you want this done quickly but unfortunately I have to deal with some other issues this weekend.

DCiAdmin

Always room to learn a bit more
Administrator
iHF Legend
WCG Team Member
I tried this before but it wouldn't get that far on the disk I will try again. I have to drive back to Kansas City for some issues with my dad's estate. I know you want this done quickly but unfortunately I have to deal with some other issues this weekend.
Mike,

The desire to get this done quickly is for your benefit, not Mal's. We will be here waiting whenever working with the system is convenient for you. Best of luck with the estate issues.

mikeinstlouis

iHF Regular
Thank you for understanding. Is the boot startup disk that was referred to in an earlier text the same as a Windows startup disk? Of course toshiba does not give the original startup disk but I think I have an old Windows 7 installation disk at my office.. when I got it to work again, what I did was have it connected as a slave to one of those disc readers. They tried to boot from my hard drive for my laptop and then that's when I got the screen to try to repair it and it worked. Any recommendations?

Malnutrition

Still Hungry
iHF Master Craftsman

Malnutrition

Still Hungry
iHF Master Craftsman
It appears that everything is pointing to hardware, lets run checkdisk on the machine twice and see if we can get the machine to boot into windows.

First run it like this. chkdsk /r then chkdsk /f

Do this from the recovery console. Lordchance has already provided instructions on how to do this in post #52.

Run the checkdisk twice and then attempt to boot into windows, if this does not work then I would suggest that you hook the HDD back onto the machine you had it inside earlier and start retrieving your information.

Lord Chance

iHelpForum Jester & Door Greeter
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
You will need a Windows Disk because you will need the Recovery Console. Maybe we can get your system to boot up long enough to transfer your files off the disk. As Mal suggests you may have to use another computer to get your files off. :)

Instructions
  1. Access the BIOS of the computer by pressing the key that appears in the on-screen instructions. Depending on your computer, you can often the BIOS by pressing either the "Del" or "F2" key.

2. Once inside the BIOS, set the optical (CD-ROM) drive as the first boot device. Press the "F10" key to save the changes and exit the BIOS. Insert the Windows operating system disc into the optical drive. Restart the computer. The "Press any key to boot from CD" message will subsequently appear.

3. Press "Enter." Windows will boot into the Setup from the CD. After the Setup has loaded, boot into Recovery Console by pressing the "R" key. Recovery Console will appear. You will be prompted to choose the type of installation that you want to log onto.

4. Type the number beside the primary Windows installation. Usually this is denoted by a number 1. Press "1" and then press "Enter." If you have a password for your computer, you type it after "Type the administrator password" appears. If not, simply press "Enter."

5. At the C:\ prompt, type the following: "CHKDSK /P" (without quotes). This will check the disk for errors and fix any errors found. Then type "FIXBOOT" (without quotes) at the C:\ prompt. When the "Are you sure you want to write a new boot sector?" prompt appears, press "Enter."

6. Type "Exit" (without quotes) at the C:\ prompt. If the drive has been flagged as "dirty," a surface scan may be initiated upon reboot. The computer will reboot into Windows. Remember to change the boot order back to the hard drive.

mikeinstlouis

iHF Regular
I don't know if it is my disk, but it should be working because I installed windows on the desktop computer using the disk.
What happens is this.
I have my laptop set to boot the disk first.
It says that it is copying windows files and I can see the progress bar across the bottom of the screen.Then, it goes straight to the starting windows screen with the colorful icon... then a quick flash of the blue screen of death...back to the same error page that I started with on the first post.

But::
When it was fixed, I had my laptop's hard drive in an Aluratek dock plugged into a USB port on my desktop.
I serendipitously turned on my desktop and it tried to boot from my laptop's hard drive.

It gave me the screen with the options to fix the hard drive.

I did so, it said it was not successful, but for some reason, I put it back into the laptop and it worked!!!

Would the repair disk that you mentioned before still help?

Thanks

Mike