1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to iHelpForum - the place to get help from knowledgeable techs in all areas of Tech, Home and Auto help. Consider checking out our Guides or Registering an account to post on our forums today.

Dismiss Notice

Windows failed to start..A recent hardware error and BSOD error STOP; 0X000000ED

Discussion in 'Virus, Spyware and Malware Removal Help' started by mikeinstlouis, Jun 30, 2015.

1. Malnutrition

Malnutrition Still Hungry iHF Master Craftsman

You should now be running checkdisk from the recovery console. Right now we should be focusing on getting your information from the HDD, from the information you provided in the link you posted, it appears that it is indeed a hardware issue, not a MBR issue.

2. mikeinstlouis

mikeinstlouis Member iHF Regular

Ok, I finally got my Windows installation disc to work. It took a long time but it went to the part where I got to pick the language. After that, it acted like it was trying to install windows. It gave me three different partitions: One looked like a 15 gigabytes partition, the second one look like 450 gigabytes and the third one look like the recovery partition from the factory. I did not get any options for recovery console. It just started trying to install windows. What did I do wrong?

Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
  3. Malnutrition

• To enter System Recovery Options by using Windows installation disc:
      • Insert the installation disc.
      • Restart your computer.
      • If prompted, press any key to start Windows from the installation disc. If your computer is not configured to start from a CD or DVD, check your BIOS settings.[/*]
      • Click Repair your computer.
      • Select US as the keyboard language settings, and then click Next.
      • Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.
      • Select your user account and click Next.
    • On the System Recovery Options menu you will get the following options:

Startup Repair
      System Restore
      Windows Complete PC Restore
      Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool
      Command Prompt

• Select Command Prompt
    • Once in the Command Prompt:
    Type chkdsk /r hit enter.

4. mikeinstlouis

I'm trying to include a picture of where I keep getting stuck. On my screen it says install windows... where do you want to install windows? And it gives me partition 1 2 & 3. It does not say anything about recovery console or anything like that. It just wants to get me to install windows. What does that mean?

5. Cameldung

Cameldung I Like It Here iHF Veteran Advisor WCG Team Member

Hi Mike, can you tell us at exactly what point in Mals instruction does it ask to install windows? You mentioned before about language, was that install language or keyboard?

Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
  6. mikeinstlouis

What I am doing, is I am putting in my Windows installation disc and booting from that. It runs across the bottom of the screen that its loading the files. It's a very long process. Eventually I see a blue Green screen with the arrow turning and eventually it gets to a screen where it asks for the language and the keyboard. I pick English US keyboard and then the next screen asks me where I want to install windows. I get no option for a recovery console or anything like that like I have seen before. That's why I'm wondering if I should try another Windows disc

7. Cameldung

All good until after you click your language and keyboard, at the next Dialogue box don't choose install windows, but the "REPAIR YOUR COMPUTER" option at the bottom left of the dialogue box. That sounds like your issue??

Heres a visual guide to get into the Command Prompt from the DVD. GO HERE Check the link out on the pc you're posting here with.

If you suspect your disc is faulty you can make another on any Windows 7 64bit computer. This disc will only be a rescue disc which is what you want (not a full install). The only condition is the computer you make the disc on has to be 64bit like your non booting computer.
    The link is System Repair Disc - Create

Last edited: Aug 20, 2015
  8. mikeinstlouis

Will try this tonight.. Thanks.. and yes you are correct. It does not give me any option for a repair, just install windows. I will try the new suggestions and thank you for your patience

9. mikeinstlouis

I was able to make a recovery disc and it successfully restored my laptop!
    I only hit the "repair computer" once. Should I do it a second time as per a prior post?
    Where should I run the check disk from now?

Thanks

DCiAdmin likes this.
  10. Cameldung

Hi Mike, good news, it certainly wont hurt to run "Startup Repair" again, what I would suggest is that you now backup your laptop first whilst it is ok, in case of future issues.

To run chkdsk from your boot disc select "Command Prompt" from the same menu where you found "Startup Repair" it's the bottom option. Then follow Mals instructions in post 63.

If your laptop is booting ok you can also access command prompt a number of ways but try this

Click the start orb, and in "search programs and files" type "command prompt" You will see command prompt at the top of the dialogue box, click on it as below.

2015-08-27_092244.jpg

The command prompt will open

2015-08-27_092643.jpg

Again follow Mals instructions in post 63.

"Type chkdsk /r hit enter."

Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
    driver_ian and Malnutrition like this.
  11. mikeinstlouis

I actually tried to do just that
    It said something like not having sufficient access to run that....so what I did was went to the computer, right click drive, properties, tools, Error-checking...This option will check the drive for errors...check now. It restarted and did a check...I didn't see any errors...it rebooted and it seems fine now. Is that sufficient?
    Thanks
    Mike

12. Lord Chance

Lord Chance iHelpForum Jester & Door Greeter iHF Veteran Advisor WCG Team Member

Hello Mike. You may need to run the command prompt as Administrator. To do this follow CD's instructions above but instead right click Command Prompt then click run as Administrator. Doing this will elevate privileges. :)

Cameldung likes this.
  13. Cameldung

sorry , yes ran my example from admin account.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
  14. mikeinstlouis

Ok. I did just that.

it is coming up

C:\Windows\system32>chkdsk /r
    The type of file system is NTFS
    Cannot lock current drive.

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)

I even changed the directories to C:\Users\Mike..same error

That is what it said before and I restarted the computer and it took about 20-25 minutes to do whatever it did.

Am I doing something wrong?

Mike

15. Cameldung

Yes you can let the computer restart to carry out the scan.

The folder where you run chkdsk from doesnt matter

16. Lord Chance

Lord Chance iHelpForum Jester & Door Greeter iHF Veteran Advisor WCG Team Member

The following link may help explain what chkdsk does and how to use it. I hope it will help demystify what CD is asking you to do. Running chkdsk can take some time. The most used parameters used with chkdsk are,:)

• /f : Fixes errors on the disk. The disk must be locked. If chkdsk cannot lock the drive, a message appears that asks you if you want to check the drive the next time you restart the computer.
    • /r : Locates bad sectors and recovers readable information. The disk must be locked.

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/chkdsk.mspx?mfr=true

17. Malnutrition

After you have ran checkdisk please check the HDD....

Download HD Tune and save the file. Install HD Tune and restart it after installation. Then go to the tab Error Scan , select the hard drive you want to check and press Start . The check can be quite time consuming take depends on the size of the hard drive check. Take a screen shot of the result and save it. Upload it to IMGUR for us. Post the link here.

Do Not tick the quick scan!!

Lord Chance likes this.
  18. Malnutrition

This is the first thing that you should do for sure, then run the HDD testing software as suggested in my last post. :D

DCiAdmin likes this.
  19. mikeinstlouis

Here is the result.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

20. Malnutrition

I am afraid that the HDD is beginning to fail, you will need to replace it soon. You should back up your files ASAP. It could last you another day it could last another year, point is it is starting to go.

As far as what you want to back up, would you like any help with that?

We can however try and optimize the machine, but I would prefer that you get everything you want backed up first. The efforts to optimize may be futile but I will help you nonetheless. :D

driver_ian and Cameldung like this.