• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to iHelpForum - the place to get help from knowledgeable techs in all areas of Tech, Home and Auto help. Consider checking out our Guides or Registering an account to post on our forums today.

Wit, Wisdom & Whimsy

Lord Chance

iHelpForum Jester & Door Greeter
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Old LC can tell you that he has been around the block a time or two and if you get a whiff of his shoes his travels are evident. The one thing he has learned is to listen to people. If you take the time you just might find a little piece of humor, something to think about or a thought or two to make you stop and go Hmmmm.... As I say, Old LC like to listen. Maybe you have a little anecdote that makes you smile, a little bit of wisdom or even a tale that you still don't quite believe? Tell it to Old LC. ;)

Lord Chance

iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
I have learned over the years that it is important to listen to children. Why? Because you might learn something. Children have a lot of questions but they don't quite know how to ask them. Sometimes this can be frustrating but have patience. I assure you it will be worth it.

I once lived next to a small boy. Since I had a large back yard I told his parents that it was fine for him to play there. About this time I was trying to plant some ornamental trees to shade one corner of the yard. I must tell you I was totally frustrated because they died after about 3 months in the ground. The young boy came over one day to watch me pull them up so I could replant. He kept asking why did the trees die so I went into a long talk about how it may be bugs or maybe the soil was just too poor. I even told him that maybe I had just not planted them right or not watered them enough.

I learned that day what had killed my trees from a small boy. After the mention that maybe I had not watered enough. He stated firmly that couldn't be it because he had helped me keep the trees watered. Seems every time the Lad needed to relieve himself, he would water my trees. Of course you know urine and newly planted trees don't mix well but I didn't tell him that. What could I do, So I thanked him for trying to help and praised him for a job well done. :)

veeg

Live Long And Eat Bacon
WCG Team Member
Most of my trades i learned from watching over guys when i was a kid and i was always in the way..."watch out kid" was what i heard a lot...but i am a visual learner...so i watched this...one day one of these maintenance guys was watching me and he said...if you want to learn this the right way get over here...he said to me "watch what i am doing and get it right the first time and you will learn a trade"... and he was correct and was a good teacher and i was thankful he didn't run me off...........so sometimes it's ok to step aside and let someone in who is interested in what you are doing.....:)

Lord Chance

iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
We often sell the young short. We are so busy that we forget that we were young once and desperately wanted and needed someone to teach us. I found this to be true with myself. The day I opened my business I did so with a plan for kids in my community who wanted to learn a trade. I could not give every young person a job but I could help them find their way. Give a kid a chance and teach them well then make them promise to pass along what they know to someone else. It can only make us stronger. :)

Lord Chance

iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
I am a philosopher by my very nature. I think therefor I am and I am what I am therefor I think? Philosophy is like a dog chasing its tail. It goes around and around but never gets to the end. And so it goes. When one contemplates ones existence one never sees the truth he is looking for. As you can see, all philosophers are quite mad. It's all that going in circles and never finding answers to the questions we look so hard for. Yes, I am sure of it, I am quite mad. But sanity has its own problems I think. Sane people don't have near as much fun as I. Surely you see that. So by and large, I will take solace for I am a philosopher after all. And quite mad.

Presiding Cat

This has got to be one of the cleverest
E-mails I've received in a while.

Someone out there
must be "deadly" at Scrabble.
(Wait till you see the last one)!

ASTRONOMER:
When you rearrange the letters:
MOON STARER

DESPERATION
: When you rearrange the letters:
A ROPE ENDS IT

THE EYES
:
THEY SEE

GEORGE BUSH:

HE BUGS GORE

SLOT MACHINES
:
CASH LOST IN ME

ANIMOSITY
:
IS NO AMITY

THE EARTHQUAKES:
THAT QUEER SHAKE

PRESBYTERIAN:
BEST IN PRAYER

ELECTION RESULTS
:
LIES - LET'S RECOUNT

SNOOZE ALARMS
:
ALAS! NO MORE Z 'S

A DECIMAL POINT
:
I'M A DOT IN PLACE

ELEVEN PLUS TWO:
TWELVE PLUS ONE

AND FOR THE GRAND FINALE:
MOTHER-IN-LAW
:
WOMAN HITLER
Bet your friends haven't seen this one!!!

DCiAdmin

Always room to learn a bit more
Administrator
iHF Legend
WCG Team Member
LC - you said something of taking time with children and their questions. You are so right. I've learned in my years that while the questions may be frustrating or time consuming, every now and then, a child will ask something that gives me pause to think. The "but why" questions are often the best :) There are so many oddities in this world - the way we do things, why countries fight, why government works the way it does, etc - it is interesting to stop and wonder why or how something came to be the way it is.

Interesting thread. Thanks for starting it, LC :mrgreen:

Lord Chance

iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
LC - you said something of taking time with children and their questions. You are so right. I've learned in my years that while the questions may be frustrating or time consuming, every now and then, a child will ask something that gives me pause to think. The "but why" questions are often the best :) There are so many oddities in this world - the way we do things, why countries fight, why government works the way it does, etc - it is interesting to stop and wonder why or how something came to be the way it is.

Interesting thread. Thanks for starting it, LC :mrgreen:
Have you ever been busy and had one of your children come in and ask you a question? What was your response M'Lady? I'm sure you do your best to answer but have you ever considered what you miss by not giving the question your full attention? At least the small amount of time spent together searching for an answer is lost. What about the sense of accomplishment when you both find the answer and are surprised you learned something new. I could go on and on here. I know life and making a living keeps us busy but are we too busy to help our children learn about the world? It is funny how things progress. A child wants to know everything, a teenager knows everything and a grownup has forgotten most everything. To understand why learning with a child is important you have to grasp that to stay young you have to want to know everything. It is to learn not for knowledge sake but for the wonder of learning. :)

DCiAdmin

Administrator
iHF Legend
WCG Team Member
You are quite correct. I know that I have missed some of their comments when my mind starts whirring trying to find answers to the question while they are still talking. Or my son - who doesn't have a governor on his mouth - I lose the whole plot when he talks. He has the ability to ramble on and on about amazing but completely inane things at a very loud pitch, and louder yet when he's on to something he's passionate about. I dislike it when I realize I've tuned him out so I can get a bit of peace. He's got amazing "out of the box" ideas.

Lord Chance

iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
You are quite correct. I know that I have missed some of their comments when my mind starts whirring trying to find answers to the question while they are still talking. Or my son - who doesn't have a governor on his mouth - I lose the whole plot when he talks. He has the ability to ramble on and on about amazing but completely inane things at a very loud pitch, and louder yet when he's on to something he's passionate about. I dislike it when I realize I've tuned him out so I can get a bit of peace. He's got amazing "out of the box" ideas.
Have you ever had the feeling that your Son is trying to hold three conversations at once? I hired a young man like that. He was brilliant but his thoughts were unorganized. In my humble opinion, you do your best to help him speak his mind in an orderly manor. Never quell his enthusiasm, direct it. Listen to me trying to give child rearing advice when I've been nothing more that a surrogate father. Ah well. :)

Our children can keep us young or make us grow old before our time. It is up to us to choose that path that determines our mortality.;)

Presiding Cat

I guess I am the opposite of a philosopher cause I need to find the answer. But I am a listener... I listen very closely to everyone, and it usually does not take me long to find out what an individual is about... Once I have determined that I look for what I can learn from them... And for me that is one of the things that makes this world beautiful. :whistle:

Last edited:

Lord Chance

iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Old LC ran into an angry person today. When I tried, as I will most time, to sooth this person's anger I was chided, derided and generally told to mind my own business. Now old LC knows about anger. I know that it is destructive and serves no purpose that I am aware of but it is a part of human nature so we must deal with it. My concern is not with anger itself but the type that is unfocused. Unfocused anger spills over everyone and thing the angry person comes in contact with. It is a storm that has the potential to inflict harm in a metaphorical sense as well as literal. What does one do in this situation. Well, old LC smiles, wishes the angry person a blessed day and moves on. What old LC doesn't do is spread the anger. Never that. LC is an old fool. He tries to spread smiles and for every smile he receives in return means he has that many more to give. Old LC is blessed and he will never run out of smiles. :)

Presiding Cat

THE BACK NINE HOLES
I FIRST STARTED READING THIS EMAIL & WAS READING FAST UNTIL I REACHED THE THIRD SENTENCE. I STOPPED AND STARTED OVER READING SLOWER AND THINKING ABOUT EVERY WORD. THIS EMAIL IS VERY THOUGHT PROVOKING. MAKES YOU STOP AND THINK. READ SLOWLY!

AND THEN IT IS WINTER

You know .... time has a way of moving quickly and catching you unaware of the passing years. It seems just yesterday that I was young, just married and embarking on my new life with my mate. Yet in a way, it seems like eons ago, and I wonder where all the years went. I know that I lived them all. I have glimpses of how it was back then and of all my hopes and dreams.

But, here it is... the back nine of my life and it catches me by surprise...How did I get here so fast? Where did the years go and where did my youth go?

I remember well seeing older people through the years and thinking that those older people were years away from me and that I was only on the first hole and the back nine was so far off that I could not fathom it or imagine fully what it would be like.

But, here it is...my friends are retired and getting grey...they move slower and I see an older person now. Some are in better and some worse shape than me...but, I see the great change...Not like the ones that I remember who were young and vibrant...but, like me, their age is beginning to show and we are now those older folks that we used to see and never thought we'd become.

Each day now, I find that just getting a shower is a real target for the day! And taking a nap is not a treat anymore... it's mandatory! Cause if I don't on my own free will... I just fall asleep where I sit!

And so...now I enter into this new season of my life unprepared for all the aches and pains and the loss of strength and ability to go and do things that I wish I had done but never did!! But, at least I know, that though I’m on the back nine, and I'm not sure how long it will last...this I know, that when it's over on this earth...it's over. A new adventure will begin! Yes, I have regrets. There are things I wish I hadn't done...things I should have done, but indeed, there are many things I'm happy to have done. It's all in a lifetime.

So, if you're not on the back nine yet...let me remind you, that it will be here faster than you think. So, whatever you would like to accomplish in your life please do it quickly! Don't put things off too long!! Life goes by quickly. So, do what you can today, as you can never be sure whether you’re on the back nine or not!

You have no promise that you will see all the seasons of your life...so, live for today and say all the things that you want your loved ones to remember...and hope that they appreciate and love you for all the things that you have done for them in all the years past!!

"Life" is a gift to you. The way you live your life is your gift to those who come after. Make it a fantastic one. LIVE IT WELL! ENJOY TODAY! DO SOMETHING FUN! BE HAPPY ! HAVE A GREAT DAY Remember "It is health that is real wealth and not pieces of gold and silver. LIVE HAPPY IN 2014!

LASTLY, CONSIDER THIS:
~Your kids are becoming you......but your grandchildren are perfect!
~Going out is good.. Coming home is better!
~You forget names.... But it's OK because some people forgot they even knew you!!!
~You realize you're never going to be really good at anything like golf.
~The things you used to care to do, you aren't as interested in anymore, but you really do care that you aren't as interested.
~You sleep better on a lounge chair with the TV 'ON' than in bed. It's called "pre-sleep".
~You miss the days when everything worked with just an "ON" and "OFF" switch..
~You tend to use more 4 letter words ..... "what?"..."when?"... ???
~You notice everything they sell in stores is "sleeveless"?!!!
~What used to be freckles are now liver spots.
~Everybody whispers.
~You have 3 sizes of clothes in your closet.... 2 of which you will never wear.~~~But Old is good in some things: Old Songs, Old movies, and best of all, OLD FRIENDS!!

Stay well, "OLD FRIEND!" Send this on to other "Old Friends!" and let them laugh in AGREEMENT!!! It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived.

TODAY IS THE OLDEST YOU'VE EVER BEEN, YET THE YOUNGEST YOU'LL EVER BE, SO ENJOY THIS DAY WHILE IT LASTS.

Lord Chance

iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Old LC has had a long and wonderful life. He has also had the blessed chance to learn from his mistakes. One of those mistakes is to judge a person by his/her attributes. Shameful I know but old LC does learn. What a person looks like, his/her lifestyle or where he/she lives or worships are a personal matter. Unless one of these attributes harms another they should be of no concern to others. What I do in my life is mine to be proud of or regret because I am the one who must live with the decisions I make. Yes I must consider those around me but unless I force my views, beliefs or lifestyle on those around me then please do as I do. Respect my privacy. I try my best to judge a person by how they treat me on a personal level and I want that level to be eye to eye and honest. Old LC is not a Saint by any stretch of the imagination but he likes to think he is honorable.;)

DCiAdmin

Administrator
iHF Legend
WCG Team Member
There are few things I would change as each moment of my life has brought me to where I am today.

Lord Chance

iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
I hate getting old (body wise), but I would like to be young again knowing what I do know tho', some things in my life would be done slightly different...:caution:
Would those changes make you a better person Arctos? I know it would make you a different person. Of that I'm sure. There are regrets and tragedies in our lives that color our days most profoundly but to change them would be to change yourself. Being the selfish old fool that I am, I like you just the way you are but in truth I would also give a part of myself to erase those things that you wish to change. I would do this for no other reason than to see happiness for my friend. :)