• Welcome to iHelpForum - the place to get help from knowledgeable techs in all areas of Tech, Home and Auto help. Consider checking out our Guides or Registering an account to post on our forums today.

Solved Write protected flash drive

Cameldung

I Like It Here
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Hello all, no biggie, but ive got a 4GB Transcend flashdrive (not a memory card) that I can read but cant do anything with. It probably belongs in the bin, but curious as to the problem. This is the error it gives when trying to use some of the files on it.
BTW there is no write protect switch on it.

2014-07-23_160012.jpg
It cannot be formatted due to the same error, and diskpart clean results in the same error. Has it gone to god?

Highlander

The Immortal
iHF Master Craftsman
Advisor
WCG Team Member
On your Desktop, open your Computer icon
With the flashdrive installed, click on View > Details
Post an image of this Window.

Cameldung

I Like It Here
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Don't give up too soon on the flash drive CD. I'll keep looking.
Oh sorry, To answer your earlier question, tried it on several pcs and I only have Linux running in a virtual machine and that doesn't see it.

Highlander

The Immortal
iHF Master Craftsman
Advisor
WCG Team Member
You over shot the mark. I need to see the Computer listed on the left side and all the drives listed on the right side.
Sorry for the confusion. Up on the top line where it now says Computer > Transcent (H), it should just say Computer.

Let's try this again.

Highlander

The Immortal
iHF Master Craftsman
Advisor
WCG Team Member
One more time!
With this Window, click on View > Details

This is what I need to see...

Highlander

The Immortal
iHF Master Craftsman
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Once you have this image, click on the flash drive listing once.
That should show the H drive volume information.

Highlander

The Immortal
iHF Master Craftsman
Advisor
WCG Team Member
That is what I wanted to see. Unfortunately, it doesn't say what I was hoping it would say.
Hopefully, LC will have more luck.

DCiAdmin

Always room to learn a bit more
Administrator
iHF Legend
WCG Team Member
CD,

I found something at another site about using the "online recovery" option at Transcend to resolve this issue. Perhaps this link will help.

Cameldung

I Like It Here
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
CD,

I found something at another site about using the "online recovery" option at Transcend to resolve this issue. Perhaps this link will help.
Hi and thanks, but I think that's what LC suggested and all it did was tell me that I could take it to the nearest Transcend service center. I took it there, you know the round black one under my desk, where lollie wrappers go to die. Thanks

DCiAdmin

Always room to learn a bit more
Administrator
iHF Legend
WCG Team Member
Hi and thanks, but I think that's what LC suggested and all it did was tell me that I could take it to the nearest Transcend service center. I took it there, you know the round black one under my desk, where lollie wrappers go to die. Thanks
Dang! It sure is the same one. I had missed LC's link to that. Sorry that it didn't resolve things for you.